Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New Snow on Cypress



Well Mother Nature certainly has a twisted sense of humour. Now that the Winter Olympics are over it snows on Cypress. What an ordeal.

I remember right before the Olympics started. They were trucking in snow from Manning and had this huge crane helicopter bringing that now to the freestyle moguls and Aeriel's part of the venue. Meanwhile they had a huge backhoe on Sky chair filling up a giant bucket that another regular helicopter was taking over to the other side of the venue.

As they were doing all this, the fresh snow line in the trees was just above the venue. Somewhat ironic. Just a little lower and none of that would have been needed. Last year we had 15 feet of snow during the same period. Then when it's all over it snows. Ya can't argue with Mother Nature. I still think everyone did a colossal job pulling it off despite the obstacles and as someone said, all the sunshine and warm weather was great for all the street parties downtown.



So now Cypress is open again and ready for business and the likes of us pions get some more extra work out of the season. Today I took my free pass and my six dollar skis with the mix and match home installed bindings and hit the slopes. It was nice. You could still feel there was a hard icy base under the new snow but the new snow was nice to work with.

Last time I hit a patch of slow snow and went down hard on my head in the packed ice. The good news was that I didn't break a leg and got my din settings right. The bad news is I had a road rash scab on my face for a couple of weeks. Such is life. It's all good in the end. Well not all but most of it and the conditions now are great.

No comments: