Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bedford Channel



I put in at the Bedford Channel in Fort Langley today. First cloud coverage we've had in a while. I've always had this image in my mind that the mighty Fraser was very fast moving and hard to paddle across. That depends on the time of year and the time of day. Spring run off the water is much faster but at the end of the summer it's not. When the tide comes in the current is almost reversed.

When I got out of the channel the river looked fine so I crossed it with ease. The news said the sockeye salmon and running and it's been the best run in ears. As a result they were opening up the river for commercial fishing for certain pockets. Today was one. Lots of boats out with nets. I saw a couple of salmon jump. One in the river and one close to my kayak in the channel. It's nice to see the salmon returning.

There was a group of young kids taking a lesson on a voyager canoe.

No comments: