Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Trumpet



On a lighter note, I just came back from a college Jazz concert. There was one trumpet player that reminded me of Greg Hopkins, a very talented trumpet player who can work magic with that instrument.

When you hear the word trumpet, various images comes to mind. And I saw another angel... ancient long trumpets used in revelations to usher in the next prophetic stage of the Apocalypse. They used to have long plastic trumpets at sporting events when I was a kid.

Military Bugles are used as a wake up call or to sound attack or retreat as well as a sacred last post memorial. Of course trumpets can be part of the wind ensemble of a symphony too. Yet the most dominant image I have is the jazz trumpet. Calm, confident, magical.

Music is good for the soul. It expresses our joy and our sadness. Our dreams and passions as well as our grief and sorrow. My father always used to say feelings are neither right or wrong they just are. People have a right to their feelings. How some people express their feelings can be right or wrong. Expressing our feelings through music is most appropriate.

No comments: