Saturday, November 14, 2009

Godspell



I'm pretty choked about another censorship victory for TELUS. I'm going to dive into the case later but I'm really disappointed in the legal system. It's just an old boys club. It's bad enough when lawyers mock the Constitution but when judges do... that is really sad.

Martin Luther King had a dream. His dream was that the constitution be more than a nice piece of paper on the wall. His dream was that the principles and unalienable rights entrenched in the constitution become a reality. That dream is still far away in many respects.

Yet in times of darkness I reflect upon Bob Marley's Redemption song and reflect upon another dream. The dream of a just God who is not a respecter of persons. Justice is the habitation of his throne. As a result, peace is established simply because where there is no justice there is no peace but to know justice is to know peace.

I've been kicked out of a brave few churches so I have but I do have religious beliefs. They are hopes and aspirations. I aspire to something higher. I aspire to something good. Godspell was a musical I enjoyed when I was a kid. It is very unorthodox. It's a modern rendition of the life of Christ. He and his 12 disciples are a bunch of hippies running around like they're on E.

In the movie Christ is crucified on a electric chain link fence. It's kind of bizarre but it has a good soundtrack and there are a few songs in it i used to like. Yes confronting the lawyers and Pharisees was one of my favorites. It's taken from Matthew 25. Once that's dealt with some of the other more mellow songs come to light.

God Save the People: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNE-h-K_jQA

Alas for you lawyers and Pharisees (Song starts at 2:40 into the video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEJLxT40BY

By my Side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR3sfbvtwUs

No comments: