Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Canada Day in Deep Cove



I didn’t feel like joining the crowds today but did make it up the Baden Powell trail in Deep Cove to the Indian Arm Lookout. That’s a nice spot to visit. I read the congratulations on my daughter’s commencement certificate from an MP today. I like Dave Hayer. I hate Gordon Campbell but I do like Dave Hayer.

He said congratulations and said in your life you will face many challenges and unlimited opportunity. It kind of felt like being on the other side of the veil being commissioned to embark on this mortal probation. All of us face challenges at some point. What do we do when we face those challenges reveals who we are.


I remember receiving a poster from my parents when I was in Ireland many years ago. It was a picture of an old work horse pulling a loaded cart in a blizzard. The caption read “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” My parents have instilled in my a strong work ethic. Indeed when times get tough, that’s the time to get to work.

Economic recessions come and go. Not having work is indeed challenging. I’m grateful to have a job I enjoy and to work for a company and management team I like and respect. That makes a world of difference on the stress level. Getting a reduction in hours is a challenge but soon it will be time to pick up the slack with a second job. Suck is life.

Nevertheless, life isn’t all about work and I still enjoy getting out and enjoying the lower mainland. I still like Whitecliff. My father took me there when I was young and I still enjoy it there. Deep cove is nice too. A nice quiet way to spend Canada Day. I’m not a big flag waver. Canada is nice but no better than anywhere else. I remember watching the sun set behind the Nile in Egypt when I was young. That was really nice too. Every area has nice quiet places to enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see that you are moving on,
all the best and keep out of trouble.
Puddy

Finian said...

Thanks. Well at least one out of two ain't bad. I am moving on. All the best to ye.

Fin