Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Kayak Journey Begins



I finally found a kayak that fits. I have an Azul Argon. It’s perfect. That other one I had was too small. My knees were sticking out of the cockpit. That makes it very unstable. I am told the five points of balance for a kayak are toes, heels, knees, butt and back.


The idea is that you spread your knees out against the side of the kayak inside the cockpit. If your knees are together all your body weight is high centered. It is like walking a tight rope with your hands held in. When you lower your legs and spread them out it spreads out the weight like walking a tight rope with a balance bar.

I was a bit worried but now realize this dream is doable. I just need some more time to practice to get a feel for it. I was in Crescent beach today paddling in the shallow water. Great to practice. I could see the Lions off in the distance and much closer I could see Golden Ears and Alouette Mountain which I hiked up last Saturday: http://finiansworld.blogspot.com/2009/06/alouette-mountain-revisited.html



Once I get good I can do the Indian Arm, Ambleside, Whitecliff, Pitt Lake, Stave Lake, Harrison Lake… the list goes on. I remember seeing a photo of some kayaks in the arctic. The water was very clear and very cold. It looked magnificent. I could see me doing that. Kayaking to a point then breaking out the snowshoes and going for a trek. Now that’s what I’m talking about.

When we did the moving water on the Fraser in Voyageur Canoes from Yale to Hope they told us to bring wet suits in case we fell in. One guy showed up with a dry suit. It’s like this space suit that keeps you warm even if you fall into freezing water. Now that’s what I’m talking about. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Cheers.

No comments: