Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mount Baker up close and personal



Finally made it to the glacier on Baker yesterday. Back road to Heliotope ridge trail, climbers trail, up Hog's back, then up the glacier to the Roman Wall. Got lost coming off the glacier trying to get back to Hog's back. Ended up spending the night on the mountain and sleeping under the stars. That was interesting. The glacier was magnificent.



Here's some more pics: www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=144422&id=666809539

I met a Jedi camped at Hog's back. He was a professional guide that had just finished climbing the summit with a Canadian from Banff. He said it took them 9 hours from the base camp on Hog's back. I was surprised. It looks so close. Yet we were only at 6,000 feet and the summit is over 10,000.

I asked him about global warming and if he had noticed the glacier receding and he said totally. He said the glacier is so far receded it's wrecked and that glaciers don't regenerate until another ice age. Interesting. He also said the conditions are even more hazardous than normal and that there have been several climbers with a lot of experience who have died this year in the Cascades as a result of the unpredictability of the broken up glaciers.



I knew I wouldn't be able to make it to the summit but I just wanted to touch the glacier and see if I could climb around on it with crampons and an ice axe. Sure could. The axe was more in case I slipped. Climbing on the glacier in the warmth around noon was great.



Here's the video clip:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRVu4aN_58A

No comments: