Saturday, January 24, 2009

Snowshoeing on Seymour

I went snowshoeing on Seymour Mountain today. I was happy to discover that the trail to 1st and 2nd pump was open for snowshoers. I went up last summer and was impressed with the view.



This is the view of Vancouver from the first peak called First Pump. It’s just past the Mystery Peak chair. Turns out the chairlifts don’t take you anywhere near the peak of Mount Seymour. To get to that peak you have to hike up or snowshoe up.

The trails were well packed and it was a bit icy so you didn’t really need the snowshoes except for the cleats to help you climb. I took the short cut up the face on First Pump. It looked fine from the bottom but there were some parts that were pretty icy and steep for snowshoes. Sliding down that face would not have been fun. It would have been perfect for crampons and an ice axe. Next on my to do list.

This is the view of 2nd Pump from 1st Pump.

And this is the view of Mount Seymour from 2nd Pump:



Personally I prefer the view of the back county. I like to dig in and have lunch surrounded by mountain peaks as far as the eye can see:


Now that’s what I’m talking about.

No comments: