Thursday, March 17, 2011

Finian's Guinness Chocolate Truffles



OK This is a work in progress. My daughter tells me she found a Guinness Chocolate truffle recipe on Youtube and sent it to me. I thought it sounded interesting since Guinness and chocolate are my two favorite things. I think it would go great together. Better than peanut butter and chocolate.

Only the recipe called for Ginger syrup and ginger snap crackers and I don't like ginger very much and didn't think it would go that well. So we made a few changes. I tried molasses and that sucked. The taste wasn't right and the proportions weren't right either. To wet and runny.

If you put that much Guinness in it, you're going to need a thickening agent. Off hand I can think of three. Flour, corn starch or gelatin / aspic. Gelatin would work well in a mouse you pour in a glass and let set but it wouldn't be right for this because you can't work with it. Flour's out because you have to cook the flour taste out and that's not going to happen so I tried cornstarch. I almost had it perfect but then it got too think and I added a bit more cream and it broke. I'm still working on the proportions.

I found this other recipe that used corn syrup as a thickening agent and used brandy. Sounded great but I thought I could substitute the Brandy with the Guinness and it should be about right. I'll have to perfect the proportions. For the covering we have melted white chocolate rolled in roasted ground walnuts.

No comments: