Monday, October 13, 2008

Thanksgiving



Well in times of economic uncertainty it is good to reflect on what really matters and all that we really do have to be grateful for. Economic uncertainty because a bunch of greedy pigs borrowed too much money and invested it in too high risk investments because they wanted more and more profits. Indeed the pride cycle continues.

As does the fall cycle. A friend referred to the economic downturn as economic winter. Great. I was having a good day. Nevertheless I like winter and I’m grateful to have a home. Not a house, but a home. I’m grateful to be Canadian. We are certainly no better than our passionate neighbors to the south but we are different. I like it here.

Sure everyday I meet people here I don’t like but all in all there are more good people out there than bad and this place is my home. Home is where your heart is. I don’t like the new slogan for the Vancouver Olympics. "The best place on earth." I think that is nonsense. Wherever your home is that's the best place on earth for you. This place is nice but it certainly isn’t better than any other place people call home.

I think Australia is nice. Warmth, coral reefs, and they even have snow in their mountains. Yet this place is my home and I am happy with it. I like the old slogan better, "Beautiful British Columbia." This place is beautiful. It’s just not better. We have our challenges like everywhere else but we do have a lot to be grateful for and a lot we take for granted.

Fall is great. Leaves turning colour represents the circle of life. I’m glad Canada’s logo is a red maple leaf. I’m looking forward to going to Brackendale this winter to watch the Eagles as they migrate to feed off the dying salmon that have finished their life cycle by returning home to spawn before they die.

We used to refer to Ireland as the Holy Land and indeed it is but this land is holy now because it is our home. With all the uncertainty in the world and all the unforeseen changes and beatings a family takes, it’s still nice to have a home. Not a house, a home. That is peace.

No comments: