Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Morning



The magic fades but a we bit of magic still prevails nonetheless. As the kids get older it is increasingly harder to find that magical smile of hitting the nail on the head and finding the perfect gift.

When the kids were young there is no question Christmas was magic. As they get older the magic fades until it is renewed with the next generation. Somehow it’s just not the same when your daughter shows you youtube videos of tickle me elmo doused in gasoline and set on fire as he rolls around the ground burning giggling away as though the fire tickles. Or the Hokey Pokey Elmo with a beer can in his hand and the exploding head. It’s a little bit funny but a lot more deranged but life goes on so it does.

Greed and economic uncertainty still exist. They always have and they always will. I remember an old friend who used to make all their own gifts. Not everyone is that talented but it did bring much more meaning to the season.

When I look back I can think of my two favorite Christmases. One was as a Single parent when the kids were very young and the other was visiting friends from out of town and going for a sleigh ride on the mountain Christmas day. Now that was Christmas. This year our Christmas is very simple. It’s the first time we broke down and got a real tree.

I’ve always felt guilty about cutting down a live tree but realize these are grown for that purpose on tree farms and I really wanted the smell of a fresh tree in the house this year. Ikea had a deal we couldn’t refuse. Spend 20 bucks on a tree and get a $20 gift certificate. Can’t beat that.

I procrastinated and didn’t get my mother a live Christmas reef until they were all sold out. Fortunately, Safeway had some live rosemary reefs. They were awesome. The smell of the fresh rosemary enhanced the season. I liked it so much I had to buy one for us too.
.
I did a glazed ham last night. Roast ham with a honey, mustard and brown sugar coating. My mother used to always do that Christmas eve for my father’s birthday God rest his soul. Tonight it’s the turkey and dressing. Got a free turkey from work again this year. All I ever got from Canada Post was a kick in the a*s.

Well the stress is over. Now it’s just quiet time enjoying the snow. MCG. Cheers.

No comments: