Saturday, December 20, 2008

The worth of a soul



http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1096536

I was really sad to hear about the homeless woman that died in Vancouver because the candle she was using to keep warm caught her tarp on fire. It’s just so sad. I know minus 15 is nothing but it sure is cold if you’re homeless.

She was on a pretty mayor intersection. The police asked to take her to a shelter several times but she wouldn’t leave without her shopping cart of belongings. Two weeks and the new shelter opens up where they accept pets and shopping carts.

I really get angry when I hear people say "those people" want to be homeless. No one wants to be homeless. You try sleeping on the cold concrete for a night and see how you like it. Some won’t give up their pet because that is all they have. Likewise some won’t leave without their shopping cart full of belongings because those are their life possessions. I was upset the Victoria police were stealing homeless people’s shopping carts. They said it was an eye sore but to some of those people that’s all they have.

That’s what happens when we close Riverview and put all the mentally ill on the street then throw our hands in the air and say it’s not our problem. It is our problem. I’m glad the new shelter is opening up but more has to be done. We need more affordable housing. No one wants to be homeless.


1 comment:

Bjarne Stange Nielsen said...

So incredibly well said. I love it. I agree with it.