Monday, September 1, 2008

Coliseum Mountain

How about that Vancouver Coliseum? I’m not talking about the old ice arena at the PNE that the Canucks used to play in. I’m talking about the mountain in North Vancouver.

I just discovered it having recently climbed Goat Mountain and Goat Ridge. It’s flat and round kind of like a Coliseum. That was a long hike. It’s 7 KM in to the starting point of the trail which is easy but the trail itself is difficult. Everything’s relative I suppose.

A couple of people passed me on the way up. I’m not a marathoner myself. I’m not in shape to run a marathon and my attention span doesn’t cut it. Likewise these long hikes are a bit much for me. Climbing up is fine, it’s the climb back down that kills me.

On the web site it said it was an 8 hour hike but from the Lynn Headwaters park it said it was a 10 hour hike. The Lions is a harder hike but this one is a little bit longer. All in all those two hikes are nice but a bit long for me. I like Dam Mountain and Hollyburn Ridge. Those are perfect day hikes.

If they allowed camping the Coliseum would be perfect for an overnighter. It is pretty spectacular.

No comments: